Why is my Mac fan making so much noise? Causes and How to Fix
The fan in your Mac is necessary to keep the parts of your computer cool. Most of the time, the fan is silent and running in the background. But, others beg the question, “ W Why is my Mac fan making so much noise? ”? There may come a time when your Mac’s fan is making so much noise that it interrupts your work.
So why is the Mac fan making so much noise? We will discuss it here in this article. Also, we will talk about the main ways you can implement to fix a noisy fan. Finally, we will talk about a tool that will help you prevent your macOS computer from overheating.
Table of Contents
Why is my Mac fan making so much noise?
The fan on your Mac computer is always running in the background. However, when you are working with resource-intensive and power-hungry applications and tasks, they might cause Mac computer to overheat . In this case, the fan will run twice as long to make sure your computer doesn’t overheat.
There are times when the fan on your macOS computer becomes louder than usual. In this case, there are different things you can implement to fix the problem. We will talk about this in the next section.
How to fix noisy Mac fan?
There are different things you can implement to fix a macOS computer fan that is making too much noise when working. You can find some of them below.
Method 01. Make sure the air circulation is excellent
There are times when we want to use our macOS computers on our beds. However, the softness of the bed and the pillows used as a table for the Mac can affect the behavior of your fan. Soft surfaces where you place the computer can cover the vents. As such, the Mac will overheat and this can cause the fan to run faster and even louder.
The first solution to why my Mac’s fan is making so much noise is to place it on a hard, flat surface. In this case, you are giving it more air to work properly. As such, if you need to work for a long period of time, you should let your macOS computer cool down so it doesn’t overheat.
It is recommended that you get laptop stands and mini laptop tables for beds. This way, the Mac computer will be elevated above the bed and on a hard surface to allow room for air to circulate around it.
Method 02. Make sure you have enough processing power and RAM
Here is another method that you can implement to solve the question of why my Mac fan is making so much noise that it disturbs your work or focus sessions. You should check which processes and applications use so much processing power and memory resources on your computer. These applications and processes should be closed, especially if you are not using them.
The first thing you should do is go to Activity Monitor on your computer. To do that, follow the steps below:
- Visit the Applications folder on your computer, and then click on Utilities .
- After that, launch Activity Monitor on your computer.
- Go to the tab labeled CPU to see all the apps and processes that are running. The list will show you the most resource consuming app or process on the top.
- Click on the particular task or application that you don’t need and consumes a lot of power.
- After that, click on the X button located at the top left to close the process.
Method 03. Test your Mac’s cooling fans
When your macOS computer is constantly overheating, there’s a big chance that your cooling fans aren’t as stable. Usually, overheating will damage the fan and the other parts of your computer, thus damaging the entire macOS machine. When this happens, your computer can shut down unexpectedly, especially when it gets too hot.
One thing you can implement is to check the Apple Diagnostics of your macOS computer . This is a hardware test from Apple that will help you check if there are any issues with different parts of your computer.
Here are the steps you need to take to troubleshoot why My Mac Fan is so loud starting macOS computer’s Apple Diagnostics. You can use it on different models and versions of macOS computers, however, there are times when the instructions may vary slightly.
- Disconnect or unpair all external devices except the mouse, display, keyboard, and speakers on your laptop or computer.
- Visit the Apple After that, click on Resume
- When your macOS computer is restarting, hold down the D key. Hold down the D until different types of languages appear.
- Choose the language you want.
- After that, the tool called Apple Diagnostics will run automatically.
- Once this is done, it will show you the different problems you have with your computer’s hardware.
Method 04. Resetting the SMC settings
SMC refers to the system management controller of the computer. This is actually a driver that manages the hardware components of your macOS computer. These components include the motherboard, processor, fans, and more. One thing you can do to resolve the problem of why My Mac Fan is so loud is to reset your SMC settings on the computer.
Here’s how to reset the SMC settings of a macOS computer with non-removable batteries:
- Remove your computer’s power cord from the electrical outlet.
- Visit Apple on your computer and click Close .
- After shutting down the computer, you need to press the SHIFT + CTRL + OPTION buttons on your keyboard. Hold down this key.
- Once you hold down these keys, hold down the POWER key Press all these keys for about 10 seconds.
- After that, release the keys you have pressed.
- Then press the POWER button to open the computer once more.
For other macOS computers:
- Turn off your computer.
- After that, hold down CTRL + OPTION + SHIFT. Hold down these keys for 7 to 10 seconds.
- After that, press the Power and CTRL + OPTION + SHIFT buttons again for about 7 to 10 seconds.
- During the process of holding down these keys, the macOS computer may reboot from time to time.
- After that, release the keys to the cellar. Wait about a minute or two. Then you can open the computer.
All-in-one tool to speed up an overheating Mac
After introducing how to fix the question of why my Mac fan is so noisy, a cleaner tool for Mac will be provided in this part. The best tool that you can use to clean up your macOS computer and speed up its performance is iMyMac PowerMyMac .
It is a tool that has many utilities to speed up your Mac. It offers ways to clean up Mac computers by removing junk, uninstalling apps, and more.
If you are tired of a slow macOS computer, then this tool is for you. PowerMyMac allows users to check the system status of their computers. Furthermore, it helps them to implement various cleaning and optimization tools to ensure that the computer runs better and faster.
Here are some of the modules and utilities that you can find in this tool to help you optimize your computer and make it perform at its best:
- Garbage cleaner. The tool allows you to locate all the junk files on your system. These include caches, temporary files, logs, and other junk data that take up a lot of space inside your system. Once found, they can be removed with a few clicks.
- Application uninstaller. The tool can help you remove apps from your system. It ensures that there will be no remnants or residual files.
- Optimization tools. iMyMac offers optimization tools like cleaning your DNS cache and more. It allows users to optimize through different mini-utilities that are available.
PowerMyMac is the best Mac cleaning and optimization program . It offers a similar set of tools to other optimization tools and has a free trial option.
You can optimize and purge your Mac with the help of this tool. Your MacBook or iMac will run faster and free up storage on your Mac in just a few easy steps. Keep your Mac performing at its best.
This guide has given you the best solutions to the problem, Why is my Mac fan making so much noise? We talked about how to solve the problem by resetting SMC settings, making sure there is enough air circulation, and removing resource-intensive apps from the background.
As such, we also told you how to speed up your macOS computer via PowerMyMac. You can use the tool to make sure your Mac is running at its best and not overheating. You can use it to clean up space on your Mac and make sure it’s optimized.