Tips for Staying Safe on Public Wi-Fi Networks
The latest study carried out by the IPSOS company for Samsung on cybersecurity highlights that 72% of Spaniards are concerned about the security of their terminal. According to this report, more than 1,200 companies have been identified related to pre-installed applications and 11,000 libraries with commercial activities. But what about open WI-FI networks?
When one needs free WIFI or is looking for a public network to connect outside the home or office, we give a chance to a lottery to our personal data. Criminals take advantage of this type of public network to launch their attacks, both in the form of data capture and by integrating malicious software (malware) that allows control of other people’s terminals.
The Study on Security and Privacy around mobile telephony shows that 40% of customers in the national market are unaware of the different threats posed by irresponsible use of mobile phones. But, in addition, only 60% see the insecurity of public or open WIFI as a relevant issue.
Among the dangers is a lack of privacy, phishing, the possibility of device infection, or the theft of sensitive data. Among the simplest tips to combat this type of attack, the use of GPS exclusively when we need it, avoiding its connection permanently, stands out.
From the Samsung brand they also offer a series of recommendations to enjoy our terminals without worrying about our devices, which we highlight below:
- Beware of public WIFI. It is recommended to always connect using a VPN service like reviewsdir and not browse sensitive information in WIFI Spots.
- Theft of keys and passwords. To avoid this, it is best to always use biometrics (fingerprint or facial recognition) and create a secure backup password.
- Apps permission to access personal data. First of all, we must make sure that we have the antivirus installed. Also, app downloads must be made in official and reliable stores such as Google Play and Galaxy Apps.
- Request for updates. It is very common for our device to ask us for updates, in this case, it is convenient to check if it is an improvement in functionality or security. In this case, the update should be scheduled at night with a secure WIFI network
- Access to our cards or bank details. This is very sensitive information and the ideal is not to give any ease using biometrics as a password and complex pin codes.
- Attack on servers. No one is unaware of this threat, so it is advisable to change passwords on a regular basis.
On the other hand, it is worth noting the Samsung Secure Wifi functionality that by connecting through this system you can protect 100% of your identity, data, and all private information. With an encryption system, all the information leaves from your terminal without anyone having access. It also disables the monitoring that apps and websites do of your personal data. In this way, nobody will be able to see the content you write on the screen, as well as passwords and bank details.
Along with this system, the Asian firm offers a Secure Folder as a tool, in the style of a virtual safe, in which it securely stores photos, documents, contacts, and even conversations, among other functionalities. Your access will be only by fingerprint.
Note: All the information related to software, devices, VPN and news share on their internetbeskyttelse site are completely free; are verified from reliable sources.