25 Programs to Make Animated GIFS for FREE
Animated GIFs are part of our way of communication, expression, and entertainment. Social networks have made this content have an impressive virality, and it is widespread to see it on blogs and other channels.
This article will learn how to make a GIF from a video, image sequence, or from scratch through these programs that we will see below.
Table of Contents
What is an animated GIF?
The animated GIF could be defined as a variant of the GIF class that we all know, but that has movement thanks to incorporating a sequence of images.
In the beginning, the animated GIF was used mainly in the design of buttons and banners. Still, like any content, it evolved until it became an essential and regular element of our communication on social networks.
Once we have seen what an animated GIF is, we are going to explain that there are 3 ways to make a GIF:
- From a fragment of a video.
- Image sequence.
- We design image by image from the beginning.
How to make a GIF from a video
Make a GIF from a video in 3 steps:
- Go to https://giphy.com/create/gifmaker/
- Copy the URL of the video you want to convert to GIF.
- Click on create GIF, and you’re done.
You’ve seen how easy it is to create a GIF from a video. You can use this online tool from your computer or the apps available for mobile devices.
Programs to create animated GIFs on Windows, Mac, and mobile devices
1.- Giphy GIF Maker
Giphy GIF Maker is an elementary program to use and with which you can create an animated gif for free.
You can make GIFs from a sequence of images, from another GIF or through a video you have on your computer or any YouTube or Vimeo video.
ImgFlip GIF Creator is an elementary program to make animated GIFs from videos, YouTube videos, or images.
The only downside is that the free version of the tool adds a watermark to every GIF you create.
Biteable is an online application with which you can create videos that you can turn into animated GIFs.
The free version includes branding on every video you create.
[Also Read: 25 Best applications to convert photos into cartoons]
4.- GIF Maker
GIFmaker.me allows you to create animated gifs, slideshows, and video animations for free and without the need for registration.
You can also create slideshows and video animations.
With this app, you can create animated GIFs from any iOS mobile device.
- Convert your videos or photos to GIF.
- Make Boomerang Videos for Instagram.
- Turn your photo into a funny Meme.
- Create loop video clips.
- Create GIFs from the camera.
A fantastic app for Android mobile devices to make animated GIFs.
- Create an animated GIF through a social media video.
- Cut and trim videos before creating a GIF.
- Edit your animated GIFs.
- Share your GIF with one click.
Gfycat allows you to convert videos into animated GIFs. You can make GIFs in less than 60 seconds.
You can make animated GIf in 3 steps:
- Paste the video link from Youtube or Vimeo.
- Cut the video and add the texts.
- Share in the GIF on social networks.
Bannersnack has both a free and a paid version to create your animated GIFs.
The free version only allows you to create an animated GIF up to 10 times and incorporates a watermark.
Super complete Microsoft application with which you can create and edit animated GIFs.
- Cut and join videos.
- Add 150 images to create a GIF.
- Edit GIF before saving.
- Add effects.
- Share your GIF in just one click. You can upload your GIF to GIPHY, IMGUR, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
[Also Read: How to create custom Emojis on Android and iOS]
Convert your videos into spectacular animated gifs, and share it with your friends on social networks.
How GIFs works:
- Copy the URL of the video or upload the video.
- Edit the GIF and click Create GIF.
- The free version includes a watermark, and the paid version has a 7-day free trial.
11.- Make a GIF
A simple tool to create funny gifs and share it with your friends through social networks.
- It allows you to create a GIF from social media videos.
- You can make a GIF from a recording with the Webcam.
- Upload a video and turn it into an animated image.
12.- Ingur Video to GIF
I liked Ingur Video to GIF since you don’t need to create an account or anything, copy the URL of the video you want to convert, and select the fragment to convert, and that’s it.
Convert videos to high-quality GIFs with this app for Mac computer.
Convert videos to GIF animations using sophisticated functions and effects that you can apply.
Guggy is a bank of animated GIf that allows us to create and customize our GIFs. It is an exciting alternative, and very easy to use.
15.- GIF Maker Mac
GIF Maker is an elementary program to create GIFs on Mac.
How does it work?
- Drag the video or multiple images.
- Click on “Make GIF.”
- Use your animated image wherever you want.
[Also Read: Best Apps for Tracking Car Maintenance]
Recordit Fast Screencast is a program to capture and record your desktop. You can record a video fragment that you want to make the GIF or use it to do your courses or tutorials.
This program is available for both Mac and Windows and has a free and paid version.
Shout is a free program to make a step-by-step GIF where you design each of the slides.
I finish with an app for iOS, which, even if paid, is very fun and will allow you to create amusing GIFs and have a good time with your friends.
It has more than 5,000 GIFs to have and to put your face in them.
What are you waiting to try it?
ScreenToGIF is a free program with which you can capture or record your desktop, that is, anything that is played on your computer and converted into GIF.
Open-source programs like this are worth trying out.
20.- Giffing Tool
Gifting Tool is a tool available for Windows and free to capture or record our desktop.
[Also Read: Best Ways to Speed up your Android Smartphone]
21.- PicsArt for GIF
For GIFs and Stickers, PicsArt is the most potent and complete GIF generator on the App Store, giving you everything you need in one place to create stunning animated GIFs.
PicsArt for GIFs and Stickers makes it easy to create GIFs from scratch by capturing images and videos with the in-app camera or by combining images, videos, and GIFs into one.
Gif Me! is an excellent way to create and share a short video as an animated GIF. It is an app for Android devices that you can download from Google Play.
It’s simple: capture a little moment with your built-in camera and share it on social media. You can also apply an image filter.
- The capture of 14 seconds.
- Real-time color filters.
- Sending by email.
- Sharing on Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr, Instagram, Whatsapp.
- You can disable watermarks in settings.
Motion Stills is a Google Research application that allows you to capture short videos and transform them into cinematography or sweeps thanks to our advanced stabilization and rendering technology.
Create looping GIFs or combine clips to assemble movies and share them with your friends.
With Motion Stills, you can:
- Capture a short three-second clip with a simple tap or condense up to one minute of video into an easy-to-view clip with fast-forward mode.
- Share your Motion Stills creations directly with your friends in the form of looping GIFs or videos.
- Swipe right to combine clips and create movies.
- Browse through a sequence of your clips or switch from one to another to have them play automatically.
Create GIF at any time using GIPHY Cam. Add some filters or special effects and then share the best ones in a text, Facebook Messenger, or post them on your blog.
We finish with Data GIF Maker for Google, a free program that you can use to create your GIFs from scratch.
How to download a GIF from Twitter
Downloading a GIF from Twitter is relatively easy. Think for a moment that Twitter treats GIFs almost as if they were MP4 videos. I’m going to explain in a simple way how to download GIF from Twitter:
- Click GIF and make it full screen. Then copy the URL of the Tweet from the Twitter app.
- Go to https://www.savetweetvid.com/ and copy the URL, and then click on download.
- Finally, click on the button to download the gif, and voila.
You can use this tool both from your computer and from any mobile device.
[Also Read: Best Free and Paid Antivirus for all Devices in 2020]
In this article, you will find a large selection of programs to make animated GIFs that you can use both on your computer (Windows and Mac) and mobile devices (iOS and Android).
Surely there will be many apps and apps that could be added to the list, so I would love for you to help grow the list.