How to speed up Mac? 11 Tricks to Make Your Mac Run Faster
Mac is one of the most popular brands when it comes to a portable device. This is because it has features that cater to the needs of other people. You, as one of the Mac users, are pretty sure that you manage the care of your Mac and you want it to be as clean as possible. Maybe you’re in the habit of cleaning your screen or dusting your keyboard because you’d like it to look like it’s still new.
However, there are cases where your Mac may look like new on the outside, but the question is, does it still work like new? Following are the strategies that you will understand how to speed up Mac in this article.
Table of Contents
How can I speed up my Mac in 2023?
We are sure that you are tired of your Mac/MacBook/ MacBook Pro getting slow and you want to stop seeing that annoying ball every time you try to run something on your Mac. Here are some tips and tricks on how to speed up Mac without spending anything in additional RAM or in getting an additional hard drive. As we all know, Apple has an operating system that is really good at optimizing itself, but of course, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do anything so that you can do the same with your Mac.
Update your Mac
Apple had provided all its users with a free update of their operating system and updating your Mac operating system will help fix some bugs and system crashes that you are experiencing on your Mac. Also, having your operating system updated will allow you to use some features new on your Mac. Here’s how to speed up Mac by updating your Mac to the latest version.
- Locate the Mac version and see if your Mac is really compatible and if there is enough space on your Mac to perform the update.
- After that, it’s always good to make sure all your data is safe, so why not try backing up your data from your Mac? This is to prevent data loss.
- Choose the app store icon on your Mac, and then select Updates. You can also go ahead and try clicking on the Apple logo in the top left corner of your screen and then go ahead and choose Software Update. (Here you have to make sure that you are signed in to your iCloud account using your Mac.)
- After that, search for Mac OS and then download it. Just go ahead and follow the instructions displayed on your screen so that you can have the latest version of the operating system for your Mac.
Try cleaning Safari, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Opera, etc.
Regardless of the type of browser you are using on your Mac, be it Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer or Chrome, always remember that if you open multiple tabs on your browser, then it also takes up more of your memory storage, which eventually makes your Mac Slower.
If you have any doubts about this, you can go ahead and open Activity Monitor for yourself to check. This is how you can do this:
- Go to your Macintosh HD.
- Choose apps.
- Select Utilities Folder.
- Choose Activity Monitor.
- On this tip, go ahead and close any tabs you’re not using.
- You can also go ahead and clear your caches, cookies, and browsing history in your browser.
Here’s how to speed up Mac by deleting data in some web browsers you might be using. If you don’t want to do it one by one, you can have PowerMyMac help you do this quickly.
If you are using Safari:
- Click Safari on the left side of your Mac screen.
- After that, select Clear history and website data.
- And then click on All History and then on Clear History.
If you’re using Chrome:
- Select Chrome on your Mac and then click on Browsing Data .
- And then select the beginning of time and then choose the items you want to clear.
- And then, click on Clear browsing data.
If you are using Firefox:
- Go ahead and launch Firefox on your Mac.
- After that, go ahead and click on History which is at the top right corner of your screen.
- And then choose all the history you want to delete.
- Click Settings and then click the Remove button.
If you are using Opera:
- Choose Opera on the left side of your Mac.
- Go ahead and choose Clear Private Data and then choose the data you want to delete.
- Once you’ve selected the items you want to clear, go ahead and click Clear browsing data.
REMINDER: When you go to clear browsing data in your browser, you can choose to save your passwords, or else you will need to enter them again on the web pages you are logged in to.
Clean up your desk
How to speed up Mac by cleaning your desktop? Unlike any Windows computer, the thing about a Mac is that it only has one hard drive and everything we do with our Mac only goes on the same hard drive. Some users would think that they will never run out of C storage drive and will not experience their Mac slow down. But if you keep your files cluttered and if you keep your apps on your screen, then it can slow down your Mac.
So you should always keep your desktop clean and here is how to speed up Mac:
- You need to remove all the apps that you are not using in your Dock by choosing the app and then right-clicking on the app, then choose Option and then select Remove from Dock.
- Delete all the useless files and then put all the valuable files in one folder.
- Please remove your apps on your computer because your apps will take up both your CPU and storage space.
Clean up your junk
As you know, every time you delete a file or if you have uninstalled an app on your Mac, they all go to the Trash. In this case, you can go ahead and check your trash and see if all the files or apps that are in it are useless, then you can go ahead and clean up your junk to speed up Mac. Do this regularly and remove those files from the trash regularly . permanent .
Close all unused apps that are still running in the background
If you try to look at your Activity Monitor, you will notice that some applications that do not start on your Mac are still running in the background, causing your Mac to slow down. With that being said, go ahead and close those apps so you can speed up Mac.
Close all unused widgets on your dashboard
Just like apps and browser tabs, those widgets on your dashboard that you’re not actually using can eat up a bit of your memory. So in order for you to free up some of your memory and speed up your Mac, go to your Dashboard, and then close any widgets you’re not using. Here’s how to speed up Mac by closing unused widges:
- Go to your Launchpad.
- Click Mission Control.
- Click on your Control Panel and then click on “-.
- And then click the “X” button to close the widget that you are not using.
Manage your startup items
In the event that you are experiencing a slow startup process on your Mac, you may want to consider checking the login items on your Mac computer and seeing if there are many applications open. Remember that once you have installed an app on your Mac, this app will automatically be added to your login items and they will start automatically once you start your Mac computer.
However, if you have no idea which apps have been added to your login items, you can have them checked by following these steps:
- Go to your settings.
- Click User and groups.
- And then select Current User and then click on Login Items.
- Once you’re in, go ahead and choose all the items you want to remove and then click the “-” button.
Consider adding some RAM or upgrading your hardware
If you think you have already tried all the above methods on how to speed up Mac but your Mac is still slow, then you may consider upgrading your RAM to make you speed up Mac. As we all know, Mac is a very expensive brand of computer and buying a new one just because your old Mac running slow would not be a great idea. However, you can consider buying RAM for your Mac as it will also speed up your Mac computer.
You can add an SSD to your Mac
And SSD is also known as the solid state drive which comes in the same shape as the normal drive. The only difference of an SSD from a regular drive is that the SSD uses RAM chips instead of using a spinning hard drive that will allow it to store information.
Having an SSD will make your Mac speed up. Many users would suggest having this so that you can run just your MacOS and apps. This will then keep your existing hard drive for your user files. If you do this, your system files and apps will be saved to your SSD, but other data on your Mac, like your photos and iTunes, will remain on your hard drive. Doing this will surely speed up your Mac and also when you launch an application on your Mac.
TRY Resatrat Mac
Restarting your Mac clears your cache and resets your hardware. Also, having your Mac restart on a regular basis can reap benefits. Nowadays Mac has SSD which will make your Mac wake up fast when it goes to sleep. With all this being said, once your Mac runs slow, you can easily try restarting your Mac and see that it becomes faster.
How do I clean my Mac to make it run faster?
Apart from the above mentioned tips on how to speed up Mac, there is also another way to do it and that is by downloading a third party software. Actually, there is a lot of software that you can download to help you clean up your Mac and make it speed up, but there is some exceptional software that you can download and be sure that you will be able to speed up your Mac in the easiest possible way.
This third party software that will help you speed up your Mac is called the PowerMyMac . It will quickly and safely erase all your junk files from your Mac. This will really help you find and then delete all your unnecessary email attachments, iTunes backup and more. Also, it helps you to scan and delete all the big files that you no longer need.
Here is a step by step guide on how to speed up Mac using the PowerMyMac:
Download iMyMac and launch it on your Mac
You can download the PowerMyMac from the official website and once you have installed it on your computer, go ahead and launch it. The main screen of the program will show you the status of your Mac system.
Scan your system junk
And then, you can go ahead and click on the “Master Scan” module located on the left panel of your screen. After that, you can go ahead and then click the “Scan” button. Wait until the program finishes scanning your Mac. Once it is done, the program will display all your junk files.
Check the items you want to clean
The PowerMyMac will display all your junk files by categories like Applications, Photos & Junk Mail, System Logs and more. Here, you can simply select all the data you want to clean and then click ” Clean” .
After a few minutes, all unnecessary and unused files will be removed from your Mac. As the process completes, you’ll see how many files are cleaned up and how much storage is now available on your drive.
Although there are many ways to speed up Mac, there is an easy solution that you can use and that is to have the PowerMyMac on your Mac computer. This program will surely help you to clean up and speed up your Mac as easily and safely as possible.